The Lena Galbraith Fund was created in 1965 to award $25.00 for students pursuing a career in teaching. One student was selected from each of the high schools. This was given to the student upon enrollment in Long Beach City College to cover the cost of books.
Now, LBCPTA has a $500 scholarship for High School students who meet the criteria listed on the application. The scholarship can be used at any College or Career School for tuition, books or other college fees. This scholarship is available to one qualified student from each LBUSD high schools with an active PTA/PTSA unit in good standing.
Application deadline is March 15, 2018. Submit completed applications to your school’s Career and College Center Counselor. The LBCPTA High School Scholarship Committee will select one winner from each high school.
- The scholarship is for applicants who will attend any College or Career School in the fall as a full-time student.
- The student’s cumulative GPA must be 2.0 or above.
- The student winner must be a current PTA/PTSA member at any LBUSD school.
To be considered for this $500 LBCPTA scholarship the following must be provided:
- A completed application.
- Attach a copy of applicant’s current PTSA membership card. If applicant is not a current PTSA member, applicant will have 30 days to join a unit upon notification of award. Should applicant miss the 30 day membership deadline, applicant’s scholarship will be forfeited.
- One to two page explanation of the following:
- Description of your personal PTSA responsibilities or involvement
- Reason for applying for this scholarship
- Interests, career plans and personal objectives
- School service, activities and organizations
- Community service
- One confidential letter of reference from an adult (excluding relatives). Applicant’s reference letter must be in a sealed envelope with reference’s signature across the envelope seal.
Contact for Questions: Jeyanthy Kernik, LBCPTA High School Scholarship Chairperson:
firstname.lastname@example.org voicemail (562) 598-9293
The following are more scholarship opportunities offered by the California State PTA:
CAPTA SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS:
Program Info: http://capta.org/programs-events/scholarships/
- $500 Volunteer Continuing Education Scholarship
- $500 Continuing Education Scholarship for Credentialed Classroom Teachers & Counselors
- $500 Continuing Education Scholarship for School Nurses
- Graduating High School Senior Scholarships:
- $750 Volunteer Service Scholarship
- $500 Dr. Ralph E White Graduating Senior Scholarship
This opportunity is for seniors pursuing a career in a medical field. (due Feb 1)